Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Now Introducing My Imaginary Friend-Jack Johnson

Well, maybe imaginary friend is pushing it a little. It's not like I talk to some invisible person named Jack Johnson and ask his opinion on the U.S. economic crisis. Not often anyway. I more or less have this completely benign fantasy where Jack Johnson is one of my best guy friends and we hang out all the time at the beach with my hubby and friends. After a long day of imaginary surfing (I am the best imaginary surfer in all the world BTW), Jack Johnson whips out his guitar and we all sit around the bonfire in our baja hoodies--which are a bit itchy--just chillin'.  I find this imaginary(but highly awesome)scenario pops into my head when a)one of Jack Johnson's songs comes on the radio or b)I may have had a bit of a stressful day. Most often that not it's a, except for finals week when I was college.  My husband is fully aware of my imaginary relationship with Jack Johnson, occasionally taunting me with "if you sell a book and make a lot of money Jack Johnson might be more willing to play his guitar at our beach parties." The Jack Johnson I know isn't impressed by material gain, he's all about the salty surf and riding the waves man. 

On more than one occasion I might have imagined Jack Johnson either married to my sister-in-law or my younger sister. Both are nice girls, but Jack Johnson is married with three kids, and as much as I love my sisters, I can't in good conscience break up a happy home.  I've already invented two really nice brother-in-laws that I hope they'll one day get to meet.

So if you see a girl with frizzy red-hair walking around with a far off look in her eye, it more than like is me hanging out with my imaginary friend, Jack Johnson.

No comments:

Post a Comment